[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe, not disable

Thomas Gramstad thomas at ifi.uio.no
Sun Aug 30 02:23:39 CEST 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Jeff Grossman wrote:
> >
> >On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:05:49 -0700, "Thomas Gramstad" <thomas at ifi.uio.no>
> >wrote:
> >> How can I make Mailman unsubscribe bouncing addresses instead of
> >> disabling them? I'm fine with the default number of days,
> >> number of delivery attempts etc., I just want the final action by
> >> Mailman to be unsubscribe instead of disable.
> >>
> >> (This ought to be simple, but I've looked through the Mailman
> >> admin web pages several times, and also tried websearches,
> >> without being able to find it.)
> >
> >Isn't that what bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings setting does?  After this
> >many times of sending a you are disabled e-mail, the user is unsubscribed.
>

> Exactly!
>

> >> Also, is there a way to unsubscribe all the disabled addresses
> >> on a given list with one single command?
> >
> >Not sure about that one.  But, I would imagine once you change the setting
> >above, it will remove the disabled addresses.
>

> It won't. Once a member's delivery is disabled by bounce, the number of
> remaining warnings and time of last warning are recorded in the
> member's bounce info, and cron/disabled will check the interval, send
> a notice, decrement the number remaining and do the unsubscribe when
> the number reaches zero. Changing the list's
> bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings after a member's delivery is disabled
> has no effect on this.
>
> But the command to immediately unsubscribe all members with delivery
> disabled by bounce is
>
> bin/list_members --nomail=bybounce LISTNAME | bin/remove_members \
>   --file=- LISTNAME
>
> you might also want to specify --nouserack and/or --noadminack on the
> remove_members command. To do this for all lists, consider
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for list in `bin/list_lists --bare` ; do
>    bin/list_members --nomail=bybounce $list | bin/remove_members \
>     --file=- $list
> done

Thanks!

Just to make sure I got the first part of the answer right:
"Disable" is not the end-station -- delivery attempts or probing
of the subscriber address will continue the defined number of
times, and if still unsuccessful, the address will finally be
unsubscribed. So the disabling will never lead to a list with a
lot of dead addresses on it. They will be unsubscribed eventually
(if they don't start working again). If that is the case, I need
not worry about unsubscribing them, and can liberally allow the
process to take its time. (Maybe speed the process up a little
for big lists.)

Thomas Gramstad