[Mailman-Users] Configuration Question: Regarding mailfilter based email addresses

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Aug 25 20:29:48 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 08:55:20AM -0400, David Walker wrote:
> Since the "registered" user person+mmusers exists and is
> all good, when person sends a message to the list it gets bounced.
>
> So my question is: how can I configure mailman to allow person to post when
> he registered as person+mmusers

I'd probably use list_members, diff, awk, and with_list as a cron'd
job.

(or list_members > file.new, diff file.new against file: if there are
changes; pass the appropriate localpart plus an appropriate wildcard
regexp [1]via awk to an outfile, and feed the outfile to with_list
assaulting 'accept_these_nonmembers', or if no changes, bail out).

I've not got anything written for that purpose, but it shouldn't take
too long to work out a quick script to do that. Saying that "it
shouldn't take too long" does assume some knowledge of scripting, and
awk, not always the friendliest ways. And, natch, does require the
abilitity to run/create cronjobs on the machine where Mailman's
installed/accessible to.

An easier option may be to wildcard accept people's domains, but that
could be rather pointless, say with non-(personal|vanity|corporate)
domains and en-masse email hosting providers (gmail, hotmail, &c)

[1] <http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg51929.html>
    may be a good starting point.
--
``Foot-and-mouth believed to be first virus
  unable to spread through Microsoft Outlook'' (spoof headline)