[Mailman-Users] Preventing postings with no Subject:?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 22 03:46:11 CEST 2009

Thomas Gramstad wrote:

>How can I prevent postings with no Subject: from being
>distributed via a Mailman mailing list?
>
>Ideally there would be a way to automatically reject
>the posting and return it to the sender and ask them
>to post it again with a Subject:-line.
>
>Or at least a way to have Subject:-less postings placed
>in the moderation queue.

Use Privacy options... -> Spam filters -> header_filter_rules

You want a first rule with regexps like

^Subject:\s*$
^Subject:[[(<{\s]*no subject[])>}\s]*$

and action Reject or Hold

Then a second rule to pass all the good subjects with regexp

^Subject:

and action Accept

Finally a third rule with regexp

.

and action Reject or Hold to catch all messages without a Subject:
header at all.