[Mailman-Users] Word Wrap

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 08:52:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 18:39, Adrean Clark<cs at clercscar.com> wrote:

> Word wrap was forced.  The text I pasted was not supposed to have line
> breaks, it was supposed to fit the width of the mail program.  Plain text
> usually runs the width of the screen it's on  -- that's what I want, not
> forced line ends.  Hope I'm making sense.

For some definition of usually - yes ;)  Traditionally plain text
wraps at under 80 characters (72-78 being a fairly common maximum) and
many mail clients will support that behaviour.  What you describe is a
relatively recent change in the way plain text emails are displayed.

> I checked the archives and the line breaks were there.
>
> So it must be my mail program that's causing the problem?  I tried sending
> the same message from Google mail and my SquirrelMail program -- both had
> the hard wrap.

Are you doing a copy-and-paste?  That'll preserve existing line wraps
and you'll get the behaviour you describe.  If you want it to flow
then you have to ensure that you enter it with line breaks only where
you want them.

Note that even if you do that, the final handling is up to the mail
client.  Some will hard wrap the lines anyway and some will flow
hard-wrapped lines.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor