[Mailman-Users] Question about account ownership, etc.

Richard Draves draves at bard.edu
Tue Aug 18 15:54:22 CEST 2009

I can envision where the question is coming from - because we deal with
the same fears.

Our employees manage the lists and mailman software. Our other employees
manage the servers and the network.

If we loose an employee with the password to mailman, how do we carry
on? The data is 'locked' behind a now lost password. How do we reset the
password, when the real password is gone?

Thanks!

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Dana Runkle writes:
>
>  > If something should happen to the volunteer who runs our email
>  > lists and we, the remaining officers, do not have access to the
>  > lists, what would Python need from us to prove ownership of said
>  > email lists and to transfer administrative control of all our lists
>  > to a new person?
>
> Neither Python nor Mailman has any relation to the data in your list.
> Python provides a software development environment, and Mailman
> provides mailing list management and post distribution software.  This
> software is distributed under "open source" licenses, so that anybody
> can download and use it without further permission from Python or
> Mailman (subject to certain mild restrictions on redistribution).
>
> However, the software actually runs on somebody else's computer, and
> almost certainly, that is where your data is stored as well.  To get
> access to that, you need to get access to that computer.
>
> In many cases, the computer in question is owned and managed by an ISP
> rather than as somebody's personal property.  In that case you need to
> find out who the ISP is, and contact them.  ISPs are a somewhat
> regulated part of the telecommunications industry, but they are
> responsible primarily to the person who pays them, presumably your
> volunteer.  If the lists are hosted, and data stored, on a computer
> owned and operated by your volunteer, you will need to deal with that
> person more or less directly.
>
> If you don't know the ISP, anybody with a little bit of network
> expertise (including most Linux or Unix users) can help you trace
> posts back to the distribution point.

Have a Good day!

Dick Draves
System Administrator
Bard College

845-758-7119

Note: Bard Information Technology Services will *NEVER* request
passwords or other personal information via email.  Messages
requesting such information are fraudulent.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Please don't print this email unless it is absolutely critical.