[Mailman-Users] Question about account ownership, etc.

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Aug 18 17:22:58 CEST 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Dana Runkle wrote:

> If something should happen to the volunteer who runs our email lists
> and we, the remaining officers, do not have access to the lists,
> what would Python need from us to prove ownership of said email
> lists and to transfer administrative control of all our lists to a
> new person?

Mailman has a "site administrator" password.  Ideally, the person who
operates things now can just let you know what that password is.  With
that password, you can do all of the list administration, including
creating lists and resetting list passwords.

If you cannot get that from the current site administrator, then you
(or someone on your behalf) needs to be able to log on (shell access)
to the machine running Mailman.  In the mailman directory, there will
be a subdirectory called bin.  Use the command there

   ./mmsitepass  NEW-PASSWORD

The user on the host who runs that command-line command will need to
have appropriate privileges.  If you don't have those, you will need
to talk to whoever (hosting company?) runs that machine.

-j