[Mailman-Users] Custom handler applied to digest tofilter excessive quoted text?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 7 17:28:51 CEST 2009

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>.

>So what you do is write your handler to do its job, then chain
>ToDigest's "process" function from there.

This may or may not work depending on whether the filtering of quotes
needs to look at more that the current message. Of course, I suppose
it could look at the list's digest.mbox for prior messages if
necessary.

However, why do this only for digests. Granted, that's where the
problem is most apparent, but I think in most cases the excessive
quotes could be trimmed from individual messages too. Every once in a
while, someone replis to something in a digest and quotes the entire
digest. Generally, these get caught on my lists for "too big", but I'd
want those quotes and less egregious ones removed from messages too.
And, if someone really needs more context for a reply, they can get it
from the archive.

I would have implemented it myself by now, but I haven't spent the time
to come up with a good algorithm for recognizing and removing
excessive quotes. Of course I could always use a gross cut approach
and make the users adapt to it ;)