[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 5 22:03:50 CEST 2009

Greg White wrote:

>It appears that part of my problem is that I didn't understand how to properly send a message.  I have postfix only listening on the loopback interface.  It appears like I will have to change the config so it listens on the eth0 interface.  Then I have to setup user authentication on postfix.  Finally I have to open the smtp port on the firewall.  I was hoping that I could just use the local mutt to post a message.  Does this sound about right?

No. This does not sound right. Your messages from Mutt are being
delivered to Mailman with your current setup. And Mailman's replies
are being accepted and delivered by Postfix.

As long as you don't care that non-local users will not be able to
subscribe or post or send commands to Mailman via email and you don't
care that external bounces can't be delivered back to Mailman, you
don't need an MTA listening on an external interface.

Even if you do want those things, you don't need user authentication.
User authentication is onnly needed if you want to relay mail from
non-local to non-local. It is not required to accept external mail on
port 25 and deliver it locally.

I am still concerned that you don't think you are successfully posting
to Mailman from your local Mutt. You are! Look in your maildir
directory and find the messages from Mailman.