[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

Greg White pcguy11 at live.com
Wed Aug 5 21:51:12 CEST 2009

> Mark wrote:
>> Greg White wrote:
>>
>>Since the mailman account on a centos and redhat system is setup as nologin how else would you send a post?
>

> Via SMTP to the incoming MTA.
>

>>I tried to post a message to the list. I started mutt, pressed m, to: test at xyz.com, subject test, wrote this is a test :wq, pressed y to send.
>

> And it worked. Your message was delivered to Mailman.
>

>>If the mailman user can't login can I post to the list?
>

> The Mailman user doesn't ever need to log in. The MTA pipes the post to
> the wrapper which invokes the proper script to queue it for Mailman.

It appears that part of my problem is that I didn't understand how to properly send a message.  I have postfix only listening on the loopback interface.  It appears like I will have to change the config so it listens on the eth0 interface.  Then I have to setup user authentication on postfix.  Finally I have to open the smtp port on the firewall.  I was hoping that I could just use the local mutt to post a message.  Does this sound about right?

Thanks,