[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

Greg White pcguy11 at live.com
Mon Aug 3 16:42:53 CEST 2009

> kremels at kreme.com wrote:
> On 1-Aug-2009, at 12:43, Greg White wrote:
>> To send the test message I sshd into my box as user, su - to root,
>> and did:
>> # /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test
>> Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>> executed as one of the following groups:
>> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
>> but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group:
>> "root".
>> Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
>> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
>> or re-run configure providing the command line option:
>> '--with-mail-gid=root'.
>
> Right. The error message is quite clear. Why do you think running the
> command as root WOULD work?
>
> try su mailman ( or sudo -u mailman ) and then run the command.

Since the mailman account on a centos and redhat system is setup as nologin how else would you send a post?

I tried to post a message to the list.  I started mutt, pressed m, to: test at xyz.com, subject test, wrote this is a test :wq, pressed y to send.

>> Aug 1 13:21:44 list postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix
>> mail system
>> Aug 1 13:21:44 list postfix/master[2494]: daemon started -- version
>> 2.3.3, configuration /etc/postfix
>> Aug 1 13:22:23 list Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.
>> Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as one of
>> the following groups: [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon], but
>> the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
>> Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these
>> groups: [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon], or re-run
>> configure providing the command line option: '--with-mail-gid=root'.
>
> This looks like test attempt above.
>
>> Aug 1 13:25:02 list postfix/local[2769]: C122C8604E0: to=,
>> orig_to=, relay=local, delay=0.51, delays=0.25/0.05/0/0.21,
>> dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/
>> mailman post mailman)
>
> That worked. Mailman is configured correctly.
>
>> Finally I exit root and go back to being a user and I do:
>> /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test
>
> And why do you think that would work? Again, the error message is
> quite clear.
>
> What is the problem? It looks to me like everything is working properly.

If the mailman user can't login can I post to the list?