[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sun Aug 2 09:34:05 CEST 2009

On 1-Aug-2009, at 12:43, Greg White wrote:
> To send the test message I sshd into my box as user, su - to root,
> and did:
> # /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test
> Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
> executed as one of the following groups:
> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
> but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group:
> "root".
> Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
> or re-run configure providing the command line option:
> '--with-mail-gid=root'.

Right. The error message is quite clear. Why do you think running the
command as root WOULD work?

try su mailman ( or sudo -u mailman ) and then run the command.

> I then use mutt (still as root) to send an email and this is what I
> see in /var/log/maillog

Sent an email to what, exactly? the list?

> Aug  1 13:21:44 list postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix
> mail system
> Aug  1 13:21:44 list postfix/master[2494]: daemon started -- version
> 2.3.3, configuration /etc/postfix
> Aug  1 13:22:23 list Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.
> Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as one of
> the following groups: [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon], but
> the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
> Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these
> groups: [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon], or re-run
> configure providing the command line option: '--with-mail-gid=root'.

This looks like test attempt above.

> Aug  1 13:25:02 list postfix/local[2769]: C122C8604E0: to=,
> orig_to=, relay=local, delay=0.51, delays=0.25/0.05/0/0.21,
> dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/
> mailman post mailman)

That worked. Mailman is configured correctly.

> Finally I exit root and go back to being a user and I do:
> /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test

And why do you think that would work? Again, the error message is
quite clear.

What is the problem? It looks to me like everything is working properly.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and
	taste good with ketchup