[Mailman-Users] Problems after CentOS upgrade....

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 24 19:13:09 CEST 2009

Charles Gregory wrote:

>Mailman seemed to 'lock up', and queued all outgoing messages until I did
>a restart mid-yesterday. I got another complaint today, did another
>restart, and once again the list messages are going out. But I have no
>guarantee that it won't keep repeating this behaviour. Has anyone heard or
>seen any explanation for behaviour like this?
>
>It may be a postfix issue, even though postfix was *not* among the updated
>programs. I'm noticing that I'm seeing multiple copies of *some* messages
>from this list. They have the Received Lines showing they were sent
>multiple times by the list serve, almost as if they had 4xx errors the
>first time? Very strange.....
>
>I don't really want to reboot the whole system, especially where the
>stability of it is in doubt. Any advice welcome (anyone know a good,
>active CentOS mailing list that might have an angle on this?).

First of all, my .02 on rebooting - If you do a yum upgrade that
updates "system files", you should reboot. If you don't, and there is
some issue due to the upgrade, the next time you have an unplanned
reboot due to a power failure or some other external event, you will
have problems ultimately caused by this upgrade, and you may not even
remember this upgrade as a potential cause.

Regarding the Mailman issue per se, was Python involved in the upgrade?

See various Mailman logs such as error and smtp-failure for problems.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.