[Mailman-Users] how to discard bounced messages?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 17 18:34:39 CEST 2009

Danil Smirnov wrote:

>For me it sounds more attractive to remove the aliases for
>LISTNAME-request and LISTNAME-join to avoid any processor load.
>
>May be you can advice to me how could I do that with qmail MTA software
>installed?...
>
>I've found .qmail-LISTNAME-join and .qmail-LISTNAME-request
>files with the following content (accordingly):
>
>|/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper
>/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join agencies
>|/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper
>/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request agencies
>
>But it seems to me that I have to remove aliases from some other place...

I don't know qmail, but I *think* what you need to do is just remove
the files.

I.e. the file .qmail-LISTNAME-join which contains

|/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join LISTNAME

is the alias for qmail that tells it how to deliver the LISTNAME-join
mail. If you remove the file .qmail-LISTNAME-join, the address
LISTNAME-join will no longer be deliverable which is what you want.

I suggest however, that you remove the LISTNAME-join and
LISTNAME-subscribe aliases. I don't think it is as important to remove
LISTNAME-request, because spam to that address is unlikely to look
like a valid "subscribe" command. But, if you are sure that
LISTNAME-request is not used for any legitimate purpose by you or the
list members, then remove it too.