[Mailman-Users] How to send moderator email approval

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 10 06:37:40 CEST 2009

Abdul Javid writes:

 > Is there a setting to let list moderators a notification that a
 > pending request is approved/rejected.    If there are 3 email ids
 > in moderators, if one approves, i would like other 2 to know that
 > the email has been taken care.    please advise thanks Javid

Why do you want this?  If you need an audit trail so that you know who
approved each request, or you'd like moderators to get email
notification so they don't visit the moderation page only to find it
was updated 20 seconds ago, as Mark says, Mailman provides no such
feature.

If you're simply worried about conflicting accesses, then a moderator's
decision is effective as soon as the server receives it.  If somebody
else submits a decision after that because they're looking at the same
list of requests at the same time, it will simply be ignored because
the request is not pending any more.  Because of locking, it's not
possible for two moderators to update the same request simultaneously,
so the request queue is not disturbed by simultaneous update attempts.

The two issues I can imagine are (a) moderators might see an warning
that the request they're acting on has already been processed (but
IIRC that doesn't happen), and (b) Moderator A might prefer to
approve, but Moderator B has already rejected (or vice versa).
There's not much you can do about that, though, if you have multiple
moderators.