[Mailman-Users] migrating to new server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 10 05:59:07 CEST 2009

----- Original Message ---------------

Subject: [Mailman-Users] migrating to new server
   From: Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche at ua.ac.be>
   Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:55:51 +0200 (CEST)
     To: mailman-users at python.org

>An old server is to be replaced with a new one. The old server
>(solaris mailman-2.1.7) runs a couple of mailing lists.
>We will keep the same web address and the same e-mail address on
>the new server (FreeBSD7 mailman-2.1.11).
>
>In the old server the mailman software ran under a normal user
>with everything in the home-dir of that user.
>In the new server it needs to be in /usr/local/mailman
>(where FreeBSD installs it)
>
>What steps need to be executed to migrate all the mailings lists (archives
>memberslists etc...) from the old to the new server?
>I have unix root access to both machines.
>
>Is there a step by step document ?

There's information in the FAQ. In your case, all you really need to do
is move the contents of Mailman's lists/* and archives/private/*
directories from the old installation to the new. You may not want to
move the 'mailman' list.

See the posts linked at the very beginning of the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9>.