[Mailman-Users] setting up the mailing list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 7 09:49:20 CEST 2009

Rasa Isaacson writes:

 > Is there something analogous in mailman to associate a personal email
 > account with the generic account on incoming posts to the board? Like an
 > alias, but looking at the "From:" field and translating it to the generic
 > account like president at ourwebsite.org.

This could be done in a custom Handler.  I haven't worked on such a
thing in a long while, but somebody who's familiar with the email
package could probably work a simple one up in less than an hour.
Loop over the from addresses, and in that loop, loop over a dictionary
like

officer_map = { "joe at home.example.com" : "president at ourwebsite.org",
                "fred at flintstones.org" : "vice-president at ourwebsite.org" }

substituting the value for the text that matches the key.  The key can
be a regular expression, too.

Then insert that Handler into either the global pipeline (if you want
it to happen for all lists) or the list-specific pipelines for the
lists where it should happen using bin/withlist.  (Don't worry if you
don't understand any of that; anybody who can do the work will know
what I'm talking about, it's not rocket science.)

Making this customizable from the web interface would be harder, maybe
taking two to three times as much time (just because of a fair number
of fussy details).