[Mailman-Users] Moderator and Admin emails not being sent...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 3 17:45:35 CEST 2009

Todd Giles wrote:

>I've been debugging this for some time now, multiple google searches, etc...
>all to no avail.  I have a mailman list setup and working fine, with the
>exception of moderator and admin emails not being sent (at least not
>received).  I've narrowed down to one fairly simple test case, that is to
>leave an unmoderated email in the list, and then to run the following
>command on my server:
>% /usr/local/bin/python -S checkdbs
>
>After running this command, my expectation is to get an email sent out
>notifying me of the unmoderated email in the list.  I never get this email,
>but I do get the following entries in various logs directly after running
>that above command:
>
>/var/log/maillog:
>
>Apr  2 18:22:02 gileszone.com sendmail[12438]: n330M2rP012438:
>from=<sandia-bounces+sandia-owner=gileszone.com at gileszone.com>, size=990,
>class=-60, nrcpts=1, msgid=<mailman.0.1238718120.12361.sandia at gileszone.com>,
>proto=ESMTP, relay=gileszone.com [69.36.169.41]
>Apr  2 18:22:02 gileszone.com sendmail[12438]: n330M2rP012438:
>to="|/home/gileszone/mailman/mail/mailman post sandia", ctladdr=<
>sandia-owner at gileszone.com> (2058/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
>mailer=prog, pri=139180, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

It appears that the problem is that your alias for sandia-owner is

sandia-owner:  "|/home/gileszone/mailman/mail/mailman post sandia"

instead of

sandia-owner:  "|/home/gileszone/mailman/mail/mailman owner sandia"

Thus mailman sends the notice to sandia-owner and instead of being
received as a message to -owner, it is received as a post and
discarded as being a post from a non-member.

You would probably do well to check all your aliases.

>mailman/logs/smtp:
>
>Apr 02 18:22:02 2009 (9073) <mailman.0.1238718120.12361.sandia at gileszone.com>
>smtp to sandia for 1 recips, completed in 0.104 second

message sent to sandia-owner

>mailman/logs/vette:
>
>Apr 02 18:22:03 2009 (9071) Message discarded, msgid: <
>mailman.0.1238718120.12361.sandia at gileszone.com>

received as a list post from
sandia-bounces+sandia-owner=gileszone.com at gileszone.com and discarded
as a non-member post.