[Mailman-Users] Bounce updating

Steff Watkins s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 11:41:40 CEST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about the mailman bounce procedure. Is it  possible
> obtain a list of bounces that were removed from the list due  to a
high
> "score"? Essentially what I want to do is create a list of  members
that
> were removed from the list due to bounces and present that  list to
the
> list owner. Is there a built in function that can do it, or  is there
> way I can do it manually? If this question has already been  addressed
in
> the FAQ, I apologize, I might have missed it (there were a lot of
> topics). If you can just point me in the right direction in  that
case, I
> would be very grateful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

Hello Sam (and others),

 I had a similar-ish scenario a few weeks back. Quick story: the Mailman
setup here had a short spate of auto-unsubscribing people from various
lists at 9am every day for about four days. One of the lists had about
100 people removed in one morning and the list owner queried whether I
could supply them with a list of those who were unsubscribed .

The easy solution I found was to grep the 'subscribe' logfile for the
listname and the phrase 'auto-unsubscribe' which returns lines like:

Mar 11 09:00:02 2009 (1577) somelist: *******@***.***.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]

Looking into it a bit further I found that the 'bounce' logfile records
some (minorly) useful info about what it is doing. Doing a grep on the
term 'disabled' returns lines such as:

Mar 10 09:00:02 2009 (3577) Notifying disabled member ***@***.org for
list: somelist

What may be of most use to you however is to modify this grep to match
the phrase "deleted after
exhausting notices" which I believe is the error line given when an
email address goes over its bounce score. This returns lines such as:

Mar 12 09:00:02 2009 (3388) somelist: ******@********.com deleted after
exhausting notices

>From there it is a short hop to having a script running under cron
that'll grep through the bounce logfile, matching lines containing
"deleted after exhausting notices" within the cronjob cycle period which
would dump the output to stdio and so by default email back to you.

Regards,
Steff Watkins
=======