[Mailman-Users] Trying to Solve AOL Redaction Problem for HTMLEmails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 26 00:43:57 CEST 2008

Lloyd Tennisonwrote:

>I see the patch adding html banners, user_id, list_id
>
>(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=1121257&group_id=103
>) might have worked at one time, but has a few undesireable features "Also
>needed enable ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE option, " says it was last assigned to
>you Barry.  Is there anything that followed this 2005 posting, as this
>would definitely solve people's problem with redaction from AOL, etc. by
>allowing HTML in the footer.
>
>Unless of course someone has written a script to read the email and pull the
>id from the mail logs...  But no one has said they have, as of yet.

My understanding of what you want to accomplish, in spite of the above
"allowing HTML in the footer" wording, is to add a footer to an HTML
only message by adding it to the HTML instead of adding it as a
separate MIME part.

If that's what you're trying to do, ignore everything in the patch
except mailman.diff, mime.txt and the first 12 lines (the PATCH 1
section) of readme.txt.

The rest of the material in this patch has to do with other things such
as adding a one-click unsubscribe link to messages..

The patch is against a 2.1.5 base and may not apply without some
modification, but if you want it, you should be able to make it work.

I have not examined this patch in detail, and I personally can't
guarantee that it won't make a mess of some HTML emails or that it
even works as described, but the submitter claims it works well.