[Mailman-Users] Base64 encoding - HTML Entity Code 'encodings'

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 13 05:31:20 CEST 2008

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>I'm running a list where posts are made in Russian (Cyrillic) and
>have questions about encodings as well.
>Right now, posts are sent in Cyrillic, and I receive in Cyrillic
>(although I haven't chased down exactly which encoding was
>sent/received).  What puzzles me is the way the archives are
>recorded/encoded.
>
>When I look at the Mailman web archives and 'View Source', the page
>is ALL HTML entity codes (e.g. <!--beginarticle-->
><PRE>&#1057;&#1080;&#1073;&#1080;&#1088;&#1089;&#1082;
>which is true for the message subject, titles displayed, etc.etc.
>
>Why are the messages being saved as HTML entity codes and not
>UNICODE?

Because the list language is English and the character set for English
in Mailman is us-ascii.

If you set the list's preferred_language to Russian, the archives will
be in koi8-r, Mailman's character set for Russian. (This will only
affect messages added after the change unless you rebuild the archive.)