[Mailman-Users] Reminder notices come from "mailman" list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 4 03:58:06 CEST 2008

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>There's one catch.  Monthly password reminders go out to subscribers to
>each list, from "mailman-owner@<list_host>", not a problem in and of
>itself, however the text of each of these messages suggest mailing to
>"mailman-request@<list host>" and "mailman-owner@<list host>.  The
>"mailman" list is the system mailman list which isn't addressable via
>virtual domains, only by addressing mailman at the primary host name.  I
>can configure a "mailman" alias for each virtual mail domain, however
>mail to "mailman-request" at this domain sends back information on the
>mailman list, not the list to which the person is subscribed, and mail
>to "mailman-owner" comes to me, rather than the list owner as it should.

Except if a user is subscribed to more than one list in a domain. she
gets one reminder covering all lists. Thus, it is not appropriate to
send it from list1 when it contains reminders for list1, list2, ...

That's why it comes from the site list.

>Is there any way to fix this?

These things are set in cron/mailpasswds. You could modify that code,
but it's not straightforward.

Perhaps a better way to accomplish what you want is to make a site
specific edited version of templates/<lang>/cronpass.txt per
<http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>, and just eliminate the reference to
"(for example, %(exreq)s)" and replace "%(owner)s" with a reference to
"the -owner address of the list".

Note that this must be a 'site' template and not a 'list' or 'domain'
template because it is a 'site' message.