[Mailman-Users] help diagnosing problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 29 21:24:56 CET 2008

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>Ok, I do see that there are a few errors for malformed remote addresses, but
>would this cause mailman to stop processing? Looking through smtp-failure I
>see only a couple of these errors in an hour timeframe, nothing that would
>cause mailman to get stuck.

The errors you see are symtoms of problems between Mailman and the MTA.
You won't actually see anything in the smtp-failure log about the hang
itself.

>It seems very slow in handling the large outqueue, even though I have a high
>power server and very fast internet connection. I don't see python taking up
>much of the cpu, it is processing the out queue, but it would seem to me,
>very slowly.

Because most of the time is Mailman just waiting for an SMTP response.

If you have Python 2.4 or later, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> for a way to get copious debugging info
from the Python smtplib. Also search the FAQ for 'performance'.