[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu version number

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Wed Oct 29 17:32:25 CET 2008

"Bob Lydiate" <blydiate at gmail.com> wrote:

>How can I tell what actual version of Mailman I have. I am using
>mailman on an Ubuntu server and the Ubuntu version number is not in the
>same general format as the mailman version numbers.

Did you install the Ubuntu/Debian package?  If so, then you have a
mixture of versions.  When I looked at 2.1.9, I reviewed all of the
Debian patches.  Most were undocumented, so I had no idea what they
did.  And I could not determine the base version number.  IIRC, one
patch seemed to be based on 2.1.4 code.  Of three security patches,
two matched the SourceForge source, and one did not.  There is also
a patch that erroneously deletes a library that is sometimes needed.
It was at this time that I decided that I had no idea what source I
was running, and I was not assured of getting assistance from this
Mailman-users group.  So I decided to build my own Ubuntu package from
the SourceForge source.  The only patch I kept was one that placed
libraries in the "proper" directories for Ubuntu.

Short answer - look at the changes file or the patch directory.
My test Mailman virtual machine is down now for patching, so I cannot
give you the exact directories and paths.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov