[Mailman-Users] help diagnosing problem

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Wed Oct 29 16:04:15 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm running mailman 2.1.9 under Ubuntu, and for some reason it seems to somehow be getting stuck once in a while. Almost every day I have to "kick it" to get it going by restarting the process. Although it seems all the qrunner processes are still there, the qfiles seem stuck and until I restart mailman, the queue does not get processed.

I have a couple large lists, to the point that when the queue gets stuck, I can come in the morning and see there are almost 20,000 messages in the qfiles/out directory.

I've been running these lists for a few years now, and they were running fine under mailman in another server, but now I've moved them to a new server, and somehow this is happening.

I see that in logs/error there are a lot of errors related to unparseable message, for example:

Oct 29 07:46:00 2008 (4208) Uncaught runner exception: multipart message with no defined boundary
Oct 29 07:46:00 2008 (4208) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 100, in _oneloop
    msg, msgdata = self._switchboard.dequeue(filebase)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 164, in dequeue
    msg = email.message_from_string(msg, Message.Message)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/__init__.py", line 51, in message_from_string
    return Parser(_class, strict=strict).parsestr(s)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 75, in parsestr
    return self.parse(StringIO(text), headersonly=headersonly)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 64, in parse
    self._parsebody(root, fp, firstbodyline)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 240, in _parsebody
    msgobj = self.parsestr(part)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 75, in parsestr
    return self.parse(StringIO(text), headersonly=headersonly)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 64, in parse
    self._parsebody(root, fp, firstbodyline)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 265, in _parsebody
    msg = self.parse(fp)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 64, in parse
    self._parsebody(root, fp, firstbodyline)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 247, in _parsebody
    'multipart message with no defined boundary')
BoundaryError: multipart message with no defined boundary

Oct 29 07:46:00 2008 (4208) Ignoring unparseable message: 1225156297.669034+58c184ed96a18e9fdad8c658fde5815c31440c01

But anyway, these lists ran without a hitch in the other server with an older version of mailman.

Is there something I can look at to help debug this problem? Right now it looks like I have to resort to a cron entry to restart mailman once a day, probably.. :-(

Thanks for any help
Ricardo