[Mailman-Users] Bounce Processing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 13 17:48:00 CEST 2008

Ivan Sanders wrote:

>I'm a new Mailman admin, with 11 lists to look after.   The area I want to
>tie down is bounce processing.   What I'm looking for, is for every message
>which doesn't make it to it's destination (ie mailbox full) for an advice
>message to come back to the administrator (which means I need Bounce
>Processing to be turned on), but for the user to NOT be marked inactive..

These are conflicting goals for Mailman bounce processing. Mailman only
forwards the DSN to the admin when it is the DSN that triggers a
disable and bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes.

If you want to see every DSN, whether or not it triggers a disable, you
have to set aliases or whatever in your MTA so that messages to the
listname-bounces at ... address get delivered to 'owner' either in
addition to or instead of 'bounces'.