[Mailman-Users] Spam Problem

Nancy Shoemaker mbx at sgtst.com
Tue Oct 7 19:07:49 CEST 2008

At 12:28 PM 10/7/2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>A post is considered to be from a member if a member's address is in
>any of the From:, Reply-To: or Sender: headers or is the envelope
>sender.
>
>Normally, the Reply-To: address in the incoming post will also be in
>the message sent to the list, but if you do Reply-To: munging
>(first_strip_reply_to = Yes), it will be removed.
>
>If you don't want to accept posts where only the Reply-To: address is a
>list member, set
>
>SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', None, 'sender')
>
>in mm_cfg.py. The default is
>
>SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', None, 'reply-to', 'sender')
>
>where None means the envelope sender.

Thanks, Mark.

I'd forgotten about the "first_strip_reply_to" option-- and never
thought about this implication.

I'm just the administrator of the list(s), and don't have direct
access to the mm_cfg.py file. This is a rare enough occurrence, that
I'm unlikely to ask the server administrator to make a change.

But I will reset the "first_strip_reply_to" settings. Thanks, again!