[Mailman-Users] Spam Problem

Nancy Shoemaker mbx at sgtst.com
Tue Oct 7 17:06:47 CEST 2008

I've seen one recent instance of this as well.

Mailman version - 2.1.11

 From the log file:
/usr/local/mailman/logs/post:
Oct 06 08:14:21 2008 (25523) post to aauwnc-list from
noreply at myyearbook.com, size=7721,
message-id=<B7.79.09034.A5CF9E84 at smtp01.scs.myyearbook.com>, success

"noreply at myyearbook.com" is not a subscriber (!), and the the
"generic_nonmember_action" is set to "discard".

I sent a support request to MyYearbook.com (which does look like a
valid site -- though with loose rules on encouraging subscribers to
invite others), but haven't heard back.

The headers of the message that got through to the list didn't
include any reference to a subscriber to the list, but a message that
was delivered to my personal mailbox had a "Reply-To" header that
allowed me to track down the subscriber who probably inadvertently
spammed her entire address book with these messages. In other words,
the headers of the message I got outside of Mailman included: