[Mailman-Users] Emails sent directly to "bounce" address

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 4 17:16:48 CEST 2008

J.R. Constance wrote:

>Is there anyone out there who would be willing to assist me with
>figuring out how to set this up?
>
>Apache Linux.
>Mailman 2.1.9.cp2 (cPanel 11.23.6)
>
>If anyone has any experience with getting this set up in a cPanel
>environment I'd appreciate any help you're willing to offer.
>
>On Sep 18, 2008, at 7:58 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> J.R. Constance writes:
>>
>>> Is there any way to filter these emails sent to the bounce address so
>>> that if they are spam they just get discarded.
>>
>> Procmail, ClamAV, etc.  You should be running such filters on all
>> received mail.  If you can't reconfigure the MTA to do this for some
>> reason, the admin can usually run procmail through his/her .forward
>> file.

You want to run spamassassin and ClamAV or equivalents or possibly
MailScanner on incoming mail. You set this up in the MTA (exim on
cPanel ?). You possibly set this up in the MTA directly or by having
the MTA invoke Procmail to deliver the mail and using Procmail recipes
to scan the mail for spam/viruses.

This all happens before Mailman and is a cPanel/MTA question, not a
Mailman question.