[Mailman-Users] spam gatewayed from Usenet to mail bypasses our spam filters

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Thu Nov 20 08:51:17 CET 2008

On 11/20/2008 01:28 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Not inherently, no.  But that feature could be added.

*nod*

> That's also a good idea, although not currently available in the
> existing code.

*nod*

> Call them before SpamBayes, I think.

Agreed.

I don't know for sure, but I'm betting that SpamBayes is wanting to
filter the message as if it is email, rather than news.  This means that
it will inherently be later in the chain than other news filtering
utilities.

Seeing as how there has been a fair amount of discussion about
""enhancing the Usenet support in Mailman, I as this question:

Is it appropriate to change Mailman such that it better supports Usenet
or would we be better served by developing a gateway that will accept
messages in on STDIN.

Doing things via STDIN would allow us to separate Mailman from the
complexities of Usenet (or any thing else for that matter) and
concentrate on mailing lists, what Mailman was designed to do.

Using the STDIN approach would dictate the need for a small standalone
utility / gateway that could somehow get Usenet messages, be it a small
NNTP server that receives a feed, some incarnation of suck, or something
even more exotic retrieving messages and handing them out via STDOUT to
Mailman's STDIN.

I believe this protocol independent interface between STDOUT and STDIN
will make maintenance of things much simpler long term for both Mailman
and what ever is used as the Usenet side of the gateway.

(Similar would be done to receive messages from Mailman and post them to
Usenet.)

Grant. . . .