[Mailman-Users] Long name of the attachemnets in mailman list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 8 16:39:12 CET 2008

Tu Ngo wrote:

>1.       Does the mailman automatically rename the attachment due to the
>long name of the attachment?
>
>2.       If yes, how long should the name of the attachment be so that it
>would not be changed by mailman?
>
>3.       If no, could you please explain to me the reason why the name had
>been changed?

This is all controlled by configuration settings. The default settings
are

SCRUBBER_DONT_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME = True

SCRUBBER_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME_EXTENSION = False

which means that all stored attachments will have a "made up" name and
an extension based on the MIME Content-Type of the attachment.

In order to preserve the original name and extension of the attachment
when it is stored, you need to set

SCRUBBER_DONT_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME = False
SCRUBBER_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME_EXTENSION = True

in mm_cfg.py, but this can allow attachments to be stored with names
that might not be valid on all systems and with extensions that might
disguise the actual content type.