[Mailman-Users] Help with aliases

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 13 23:16:24 CEST 2008

Melinda Gilmore wrote:

>I have been a good girl and have been looking in the archives.  But I am
>missing something here.  I cannot get my mailman to update the aliases
>database.  I check the setting in the manual.   I am running mailman with
>postifx.  I have looked at the newlist --help and I just cannot get my alias
>db to update.  I hate to have to do this manually.
>
>Any guidance would be great.

What is the problem?

Is Mailman updating data/aliases? If not, do you have

MTA = 'Postfix'

in mm_cfg.py? If Mailman is updating its data/aliases, but aliases.db
is not being updated, Mailman should be running the command defined as

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD

(default is '/usr/sbin/postalias') with the path to data/aliases as its
argument after it updates data/aliases.

What happens when you run bin/newlist. Does it give you a list of
aliases to add manually? If so, you are missing the MTA = 'Postfix' in
mm_cfg.py.

Does bin/newlist give some error? If so, what?

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>.