[Mailman-Users] Unrecognized Bounce

J.R. Constance jrc at clshost.com
Tue May 13 21:09:02 CEST 2008

I have one mailing list that for every message sent to the list I, as
admin, receive the following "Uncaught Bounce Notification":

> The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
> format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
> from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
> unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).
>
> For more information see:
> http://my_website.org/mailman/admin/ascls-co-leaders_my_list.org/
> bounce
>

> From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at tempest.organization.org>
> Date: May 13, 2008 9:29:30 AM MDT
> To: <ascls-co-leaders-bounces at my_list.org>
> Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

Clicking on the "For more information" link just takes me to the
Bounce config page in the list admin section. I'm not getting any kind
of transcript.

Looking at the bounce log for this particular email shows the following:

> May 13 09:29:26 2008 (21967) bounce message w/no discernable
> addresses: <200805131529.m4DFTUVH029147 at tempest.organization.org>
> May 13 09:29:26 2008 (21967) forwarding unrecognized, message-id: <200805131529.m4DFTUVH029147 at tempest.organization.org

My guess here is that for some reason tempest.pvhs.org is sending some
kind of response to the list that is getting bounced for whatever
reason. I do have several subscribers at that facility, but have not
heard that any of them are not receiving the emails from the list.

Any ideas on how to I might proceed to figure out why I'm getting this
bounce, and therefore maybe figure out how to prevent it?

Thanks,

J.R.

J.R. Constance
Rodric Consulting, LLC