[Mailman-Users] Outlook verification receipt via Mailman?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 6 23:48:48 CEST 2008

Tim Tyler wrote:

>  We are running Mailman 2.1.9 on a Centos server.  I recently had a
>request from a list owner that they would like to use the "Request a
>delivery receipt for this message" option in Outlook to all members
>in a particular list to verify that users have opened a
>message.  However, mailman seems to corrupt the delivery of this
>feature.  It works fine if she sends directly to users, but it fails
>if sent through mailman.   I know that other pop clients also have
>this feature and they also fail if using mailman.  Is it possible to
>configure Mailman to allow this feature through?   If so, how might I
>go about it?

Mailman intentionally removes 'return-receipt-to',
'disposition-notification-to', 'x-confirm-reading-to' and 'x-pmrqc'
headers from list mail. Aside from the fact that these are
non-standard, annoying and unreliable and might return to the list or
the list-bounces address rather than the poster, they could also be
used to fish for membership on a list with a private roster.

If you want to expreiment with not removing them, you need to modify
the code in Mailman/Handlers/Cleanse.py. There's no configuration
setting to do this.