[Mailman-Users] Outlook verification receipt via Mailman?

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Tue May 6 22:55:04 CEST 2008

Tim Tyler <tyler at beloit.edu> wrote:

>   Mailman experts,
>  We are running Mailman 2.1.9 on a Centos server.  I recently had a
>request from a list owner that they would like to use the "Request a
>delivery receipt for this message" option in Outlook to all members
>in a particular list to verify that users have opened a
>message.  However, mailman seems to corrupt the delivery of this
>feature.  It works fine if she sends directly to users, but it fails
>if sent through mailman.   I know that other pop clients also have
>this feature and they also fail if using mailman.  Is it possible to
>configure Mailman to allow this feature through?   If so, how might I
>go about it?

Note that the "Return-Receipt-To:" header is non-standard, and its
implementation varies among Mail User Agents:

     1) Return a receipt message when the mail is placed in the mailbox.
     2) Return a receipt message when the mail is read by the recipient
             (but not when it is discarded).
     3) Ignore and never return a receipt message.

If you do not get a return receipt from someone, you cannot assume that
the recipient has not seen the mail message.

I have seen cases where someone posts to a list and wants a return
receipt.  Then each person who reads the mail sends a return receipt -
not to the sender, but to the list.  I do not remember what mailing
list software was being used.  I am not a big fan of return receipts.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov