[Mailman-Users] Content Filtering for Body Text

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Fri Mar 21 22:02:25 CET 2008

My mailing lists have a policy of disallowing copyrighted material without
permission.  I have a couple people on moderation who do not understand
this and post such things frequently.  But I want to keep most folks off
moderation if possible as it improves the flow of the list and reduces my
workload.

Once in a while, someone (who isn't moderated) forgets and posts an entire
published article.  Almost always, it's accompanied by one of those "fair
use" statements that someone made up a while ago and is used on everything
(I've seen it on press releases, government documents being forwarded, and
posts that correctly give a link and a single paragraph for context).

What I'd like to do is set up a filter that scans the content of the body
text for a phrase like: "FAIR USE NOTICE" or "Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107."
I would like those caught posts to go into the moderation queque ("hold"
not "reject" or "discard").

The content filtering in the web interface is for attachments and I'm
afraid to fiddle with it since I've had really bad results from trying to
use it before on a test list.  The only other thing in the interface I see
is the ability to filter based on text in the header (Privacy: Spam).

So I searched the MM FAQ and the archives of this list and came up with the
basic answer that, no, this is not possible unless you filter posts with
procmail prior to being processed by MM (something that is impossible for
me to do since my MM is run by my ISP) or use a patch (which is complex and
requires root access).

An example is:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg30851.html

But I can't find anything newer than 3 years.  Perhaps something has
changed since then?  Is what I'm asking possible without a major
workaround?  Might it be possible in the future, perhaps as an extension of
the spam filters?

Thanks,
Cyndi