[Mailman-Users] word "bounces" in from address

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 19 01:48:41 CET 2008

Dragon writes:

 > The problem is that the relevant RFC document is vague on
 > how that should be handled and displayed in the MUA.

I don't see that it's vague at all.  RFC 2822 provides several headers
for identifying various roles in transmitting the message on behalf of
the author.  The "From" header is specified to be the author(s);
putting information about *non-authors* in there is just plain wrong.

IMNSHO Outlook's behavior is definitely nonconforming.  And given the
popularity of Outlook, its continuation constitutes deliberate sabotage.