[Mailman-Users] word "bounces" in from address

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Mar 18 19:40:19 CET 2008

Kenneth Porter sent the message below at 11:15 3/18/2008:
>--On Monday, March 17, 2008 1:20 PM -0400 Nick L <nick at firstinjax.com>
>wrote:
>
> > I know that there is a workaround to remove the word 'bounces" in the from
> > heading.
>
>Just curious, why would someone want to remove "bounces"? Is it a swear
>word in some languages?

This issue has come up a number of times on this list since I have
been a member. I think it is really a cosmetic thing. It's also
limited to particular versions of Microsoft Outlook that display the
 From address as something like:

"From: listname-bounces at example.com on behalf of listmember at example.com"

It's not entirely incorrect for Outlook to do that as it is using the
envelope-sender information not the actual From: header to display
that info. The problem is that the relevant RFC document is vague on
how that should be handled and displayed in the MUA.

Mailman sends outgoing e-mails using the listname-bounces address as
the envelope-sender to enable proper bounce handling when a delivery
failure occurs. So the problem comes down to living with this display
in Outlook or disabling proper bounce handling. Personally, I want
proper bounce handling and anyone using Outlook that complains to me
about this is basically told (politely, usually) there is nothing I
can do about fixing something Microsoft did in their e-mail client so
they can either live with it or find an e-mail client to their liking.

Dragon