[Mailman-Users] minimizing spam addresses on web site

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 15 23:27:53 CET 2008

Chuck Peters wrote:

>I would like to replace all mailto: links to a
>http://mailhide.recaptcha.netURL.  I changed the listinfo page on a
>test list, but changing it throughout
>a list's pages isn't as trivial.  It appears that part of the footer code is
>def GetMailmanFooter in Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py.
>
>I have very little experience hacking python and could really use some help
>getting this to work.  Besides I think this could be useful for lots of
>others who are sick of the deluge of spam.  Any suggestions?

An edited 'grep' output showing the modules that put mailto links on
Mailman's web pages is

Archiver/HyperArch.py:                # Point the mailto url back to
the list
Archiver/HyperArch.py:                        URL = 'mailto:' + text
Cgi/admin.py:        Link('mailto:%s' % mailman_owner, mailman_owner),
Cgi/listinfo.py:         Link('mailto:' + siteowner, siteowner),
HTMLFormatter.py:        owner_link = Link('mailto:' +
self.GetOwnerEmail(), ownertext).Format()
HTMLFormatter.py:            mailto = Link('mailto:' +
self.GetOwnerEmail(),
HTMLFormatter.py:            %(link)s option below.  Contact %(mailto)s
if you have any

There are also mailto links in the HTML templates article.html and
listinfo.html.