[Mailman-Users] Archive without attachments?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 11 14:39:42 CET 2008

I-Ming Chen wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Francesco Peeters wrote:
>>> I just rebuilt one of my lists' archive as ArchRunner was stuck and
>>> didn't archive messages again (apparently since Jan 19th! <G>)
>>> After running arch --wipe, I restarted ArchRunner, which is now working
>>> to catch up... (14000 messages to go!)
>>
>> I'm confused. I don't know why you ran bin/arch --wipe, and do you
>> really have over 14000 new messages since Jan 19th?
>
>I've had instances where once I rebuilt the archive, the size of the
>downloadable archive doubled (dupe messges in the gzip or txt). The only way to
>rebuild correctly was to do a --wipe. This was also a case where it stopped
>archiving as well.

That is correct. You need the --wipe option if you are going to run
bin/arch with the entire list.mbox/list.mbox (default) as input.

However, I was not questioning why Francesco used the --wipe option. I
was questioning why he felt it was necessary to run bin/arch at all as
opposed to just restarting ArchRunner.