[Mailman-Users] Muti-Mailman install

Brad Knowles brad at python.org
Thu Jun 19 23:23:25 CEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:

> Whats the big deal anyway? If you want lists configured to reply to the
> list, just set it that way. What difference does it make what the
> default is?

The point is that there are lots of MUAs out there that are broken, and if
you screw with the Reply-To: header, they are completely and totally unable
to change who the reply is sent to.  This is how private information gets
exposed on public lists, with consequences ranging from just being
personally embarassing, to getting you fired, to actually being
life-threatening in some cases.

Do you really want to be responsible for something that could get someone
killed?

> Until the vast majority of the most popular mail clients have a proper
> 'Reply-To-List' function (TBird doesn't, although it has an extension
> that tries to do it, it isn't very good at it) discussion lists should
> definitely (imnsho) be configured to reply to list, and I always change
> the ones I manage to do so.

Then you must not have read the FAQ I referenced.

--
Brad Knowles <brad at python.org>
Member of the Python.org Postmaster Team & Co-Moderator of the