[Mailman-Users] Muti-Mailman install

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Wed Jun 18 19:20:41 CEST 2008

On 18-Jun-08, at 4:04 AM, adsarebad at gmail.com wrote:

> I have searched all over for how to do true virtual list with
> mailman and finely decided to run multiple mailman installs side by
> side.

This doesn't answer your questions, but have you considered giving
the lists unique names, but doing aliasing so that they look right to
the users?

For example, if you want to have discussion at example1.com and
discussion at example2.com,

Mailman could believe that these are

discussion-example1 at example1.com
discussion-example2 at example2.com

(distinct names)

But then you can set up discussion at example1.com to point to
discussion-example1 at example1.com and ditto for example2.  You users
use the shorter names to post to the lists, alter other settings like
the prefix tag to match, and in theory everyone's happy. :)

The reason I mention this:
You may have some reason for wanting true virtual domains and have
already discarded this idea, but I've found some clever aliasing is a
good enough solution for a lot of people, and it's a lot easier than
running multiple installations or using patches.

Also, there's an FAQ entry on this but (in my opinion) it seems like
it could use an update:

http://wiki.list.org/x/jIA9

If you found other resources that you found useful, please add them
to that wiki page!

  Terri