[Mailman-Users] Queue problems

Jaco Kroon jaco at kroon.co.za
Wed Jun 18 18:14:45 CEST 2008

Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2008, at 18:53, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Brad Knowles wrote:

>>> You're doing DNS validation on your outbound
>>> mail.  Don't do that.  Pay attention to the stuff
>>> in section 6 of the FAQ, especially including
>>> 6.6, 6.8, 6.12, etc....
>>
>> Also, fix your MTA configuration so it returns a 5xx status, not a 450
>> for a non-existant domain.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this can not be “fixed” (for Postfix). If
> Postfix is unable to obtain DNS settings for a domain, it will treat it
> as a temporary error, and will return 450, regardless of settings (and
> to me this seems correct, as not being able to obtain DNS settings is
> likely because something is down).

Unless you get an authoritative NXDOMAIN, in which case the domain does
not exist.  Period.

> If on the other hand it _does_ find a name server for the domain and
> there is no MX record, _then_ can it be treated as a permanent error.

NOT TRUE.  The RFC states that in the case of no MX record the domain
name itself should be treated as the only MX record.

> If others should run into this problem `reject_unknown_recipient_domain`
> was the setting I had to disable in Postfix’s
> `smtpd_recipient_restrictions`.

Oh.  Not normally a good idea, but in this case I'd agree.  With exim I
simply accept everything being injected with the sendmail command (as
well as connecting from localhost but destined for a non-local domain),
which does something a little different from this, but works very well.

Jaco