[Mailman-Users] Queue problems

Stefan Förster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Wed Jun 18 12:56:14 CEST 2008

* Allan Odgaard <8qbfgka02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2008, at 18:53, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Brad Knowles wrote:

>>> You're doing DNS validation on your outbound
>>> mail.  Don't do that.  Pay attention to the stuff
>>> in section 6 of the FAQ, especially including
>>> 6.6, 6.8, 6.12, etc....
>>
>> Also, fix your MTA configuration so it returns a 5xx status, not a 450
>> for a non-existant domain.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this can not be “fixed” (for Postfix). If
> Postfix is unable to obtain DNS settings for a domain, it will treat
> it as a temporary error, and will return 450, regardless of settings
> (and to me this seems correct, as not being able to obtain DNS
> settings is likely because something is down).

postconf -e unknown_address_reject_code=550

Read the description of this setting - it will STILL return a 45x if
the error is _temporary_, whereas "temporary" is defined by your local
resolver library (this works very well in most cases).

> If on the other hand it _does_ find a name server for the domain and
> there is no MX record, _then_ can it be treated as a permanent error.

ITYM "no MX- and no A-RR".

> If others should run into this problem
> `reject_unknown_recipient_domain` was the setting I had to disable in
> Postfix’s `smtpd_recipient_restrictions`.

You can easily create a dedicated smtpd instance for injection of
mails generated by mailman. Have a look at
http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030642 - I use

SMTPPORT = 10026 in /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py and in
/etc/postfix/master.cf:

127.0.0.1:10026 inet n  -       -     -       -  smtpd
    -o content_filter=
    -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
    -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks,no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_milters
    -o smtpd_client_connection_count_limit=0
    -o smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit=0
    -o smtpd_error_sleep_time=0
    -o smtpd_soft_error_limit=1001
    -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000
    -o smtpd_restriction_classes=
    -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
    -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
    -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
    -o smtpd_data_restrictions=reject_unauth_pipelining
    -o smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions=
    -o smtpd_delay_reject=no
    -o local_header_rewrite_clients=

Cheers