[Mailman-Users] Mailman Migration Trouble

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 16:32:20 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Since your domain names don't change, you shouldn't need to do step 6.
>
> For step 5, make sure that everything in lists/ and archives/ is your
> mailman group.

I ran the following command:

"chown -R mailman:mailman /var/lib/mailman/lists/"

I see that everything in /var/lib/mailman/lists is owned by mailman:mailman.

So now I am looking at path in the error I received:

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman.mbox'
                                                           [FAILED]

When I look at the path in the error on my server_old and server_new,
I notice the mailman.mbox path goes on and on and on and on...

Is this normal? Look below - its identical on both servers however
mailman works on server_old. You can see below that I start in private
directory and I am able to "cd" in to the same directory over and over
and then you can see the "pwd" command path...

[root at mail private]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# ls -l
total 4
drwxrwsr-x  3 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 25  2006 mailman.mbox
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# ls -l
total 4
drwxrwsr-x  3 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 25  2006 mailman.mbox
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# cd mailman.mbox/
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# ls -l
total 4
drwxrwsr-x  3 mailman mailman 4096 Oct 25  2006 mailman.mbox
[root at mail mailman.mbox]# pwd
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox