[Mailman-Users] Problems with the who command (migrating lists FAQ)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jun 17 05:59:40 CEST 2008

On 6/17/08, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>  I followed the FAQ' and sent a `who «password»` to my old list (where I
>  am administrator). This scheme had the following problems:
>
>  1. All user settings are lost (digest, no email, etc.).
>  2. It does not return subscribers with concealed identity (hide).
>  3. User names with accents came through mangled.

It also does not get any of the users who have
set themselves to be invisible to everyone else.

If you want to properly move a list from one
machine to another, you need to use a different
mechanism.  See FAQ 3.4 at
<http://tinyurl.com/5v8xyv>.

>  I suggest updating the FAQ and/or improve the `who` command to return
>  concealed users to the list administrator. Would also be nice if the
>  mass subscribe could optionally take per user settings and `who` would
>  return these.

These issues are dealt with when the proper methods are used to move a list.

>' http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#3.4

We're not using this anymore.  See
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions>
instead.