[Mailman-Users] went live - big mistake - please help

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 22 17:26:35 CEST 2008

xp xp wrote:
> Hello Mark, Could you please let me know how to access smtp-log?

The logs are on the Mailman host. Several 'packaged' Mailman
installations put them in /var/log/mailman/. The default location for
GNU Mailman is /usr/local/mailman/logs/.

To access these logs, you need shell or perhaps ftp access to the
server. If yours is a 'hosted' Mailman, you may not be able to access
the logs.

> So
> the mailman will bounce if it can't send email to a valid email ID?
> how many attempts will it take before it quits? I saw the email in
> the archives, but I cannot see who got it. Is there a feature where
> mailman can show which users got an email? please help. drb

Mailman delivers mail via SMTP to an MTA, usually running on the same
host. If an error occurs during SMTP to the MTA, it will be logged in
Mailman's smtp-failure log. If it is a fatal (5xx status) error, it is
treated as a hard bounce. If it is retryable (4xx status), Mailman will
retry at 15 minute intervals for 5 days.

Most errors occurring during SMTP to the outgoing MTA are due to some
kind of configuration problem between Mailman and the MTA. You have to
see the log messages or the bounce notices to see what the errors are.

If Mailman and the MTA are configured appropriately, almost all bounces
are returned by the MTA after acceptance of the original message. In
this case, retries if any will be done by the MTA. Again, you need to
see the bounce messages to see why the mail is undeliverable.

In Mailman, set bounce_processing to Yes; set
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable to Yes, and temporarily at least, set
bounce_score_threshold to 1.0. Then when mail to a member bounces, the
member's delivery will be disabled immediately and the list owner will
receive a notice (assuming it doesn't bounce too) containg the original
bounce message which will help you see the problem.