[Mailman-Users] Renaming lists - how to change the list "real_name" afterwards

Aidan C A Hopkins aidan at wemail.info
Fri Jul 18 18:52:09 CEST 2008

On 18 Jul 2008 at 8:11, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Aidan C A Hopkins at Wemail wrote:
> >
> > Strange - I still get exactly the same error! The new list name I am
> > using is exactly as included in the URI; I have tried all lowercase or
> > even with the first letter uppercase - doesn't help.
> >
> > The admin screen still shows the old name in the title line, twice right
> > at the bottom, in the overview page, the name of the archives and so on.
> > The URI of all these is showing the new name.
> >
> > Could it be a permission problem on some file which is effectively
> > hidden unless one knows where to look?!
>

> I don't think so. It is a simple check of the entry for real_name
> against the list's internal name.
>
> You can try the following in the Mailman directory:
>
> $ bin/withlist -l newname
> The variable `m' is the newname MailList instance
>  >>> m.real_name
> 'OldName'
>  >>> m.real_name = 'NewName'
>  >>> m.Save()
>  >>>
> Unlocking (but not saving) list: newname
> Finalizing
> $
>
> You type the withlist command, and within withlist, you type the
> control-D (end of file)
>
> --

Thanks very much - this did the trick, with one exception - the archives
are still bearing the old name. Presumably this just needs a rebuild as
mentioned somewhere in the FAQ which I used yesterday.

Perhaps your instructions need adding to the FAQ?!

Thanks again for your invaluable help.

--
Aidan C A Hopkins         | T: 01344 430023
Wemail                    |
GU25 4RD                  | E: aidan at wemail.info
This message is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you
should not use the contents nor disclose them to any other
person and you should immediately notify the sender and
delete the message, including any printed copy.

The addressee should satisfy him/herself that this message
contains no virus nor other harmful content (which could
have been generated without the knowledge of the sender).