[Mailman-Users] Feature Request: Selective Mass Subscription

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Thu Jul 10 04:48:18 CEST 2008

Sigh...this is my ISP's response to my request.  At least they did take it
seriously and consider it (the option is Mark's suggestion of a severe
limit on numbers of subscribers listowners could add per
day/week/whatever).

"We have decided that we are not going to implement this option on our
current Listserv setup.

"Users must be able to reply to their subscription notifications.  This
alone prevents abuse and protects everyone involved here.

"If the person in question has an email address, and wants to be on a
mailing list, they should be able to respond to one message; confirming
their desire to be involved."

Obviously, I disagree.  As do all the other mailing list providers that I'm
aware of.  At least it's the only large change they've made to the software
so it's still pretty usable.

Thanks for your help, Mark.

Cyndi

P.S. I still don't understand why they insist on an invite model.  Why not
just let the listowner add people but have it not take place until the
person responds?  My issue isn't with requiring confirmation (though I
think written confirmation should be good enough) but with making someone
who might be very computer illiterate go to a website to sign up.