[Mailman-Users] Muti-Mailman install

Savoy, Jim savoy at uleth.ca
Thu Jul 10 00:46:14 CEST 2008

> Brad Knowles wrote:

> Correct.  The Mailman developers feel that forcing all
> replies to go back to the list causes much more harm than
> good.

For a real-world example: We run several thousand lists here
at our university (not all in Mailman) and we had a class list
set up with "replies go to list" (the professor/owner had inadvertantly
changed that setting from the default). One night, the professor sent
out
a message to the class list, giving them some instructions or something.
Well one student on the list didn't realize this and thought the
prof had sent the message only to her, basically targetting her (I guess
she didn't look at the headers). She replied with a pretty personal
message
back to the prof, and it went to the entire class (180 students). She
was
so embarrassed and humiliated the next day to know that entire class had
read her personal message and were talking about her, that she dropped
the class.

This is basically why you want people to specifically address the list,
if they mean to send to it. Sure it was her fault, but it's wiser to
use the "strongly recommended" defaults than to try to teach a revolving
group of 15,000 students an email lesson.

 - jim -