[Mailman-Users] Ghost Moderator Requests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 27 12:20:37 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>> If you go to the admindb interface for the 'mailman' list, you should
>> see these messages and be able to discard them - go to the same URL as
>> the admindb interface for your other list, but with 'mailman' as the
>> list name.
>
> As I said, it tells me there are no pending requests.

This is a bit of a puzzle, because it should be using the same
request.pck data as the cron/checkdbs job that sends the notice.

>> Or, you can discard them by running.
>>
>> path/to/mailmans/bin/discard /var/lib/mailman/data/heldmsg-mailman-*
>
> I thought I'd give this a try and here's what I get:
>
> [root at dap002 bin]# discard /var/lib/mailman/data/heldmsg-mailman-*
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/sbin/discard", line 120, in ?
>      main()
>    File "/usr/sbin/discard", line 110, in main
>      mlist.HandleRequest(id, mm_cfg.DISCARD, '', False, False, '')
>    File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 164, in HandleRequest
>      rtype, data = self.__db[id]
> KeyError: 113
> [root at dap002 bin]#
>
> Must be a remnant of the restore fiasco.

This says the heldmsg file did not have a corresponding request.pck
entry, and presumably there are some the other way around too. I.e.
after the restore, the actual heldmsg-* files were out of sync with
request.pck entries.

>> Do NOT just remove the heldmsg-mailman-* files since that will remove
>> the message files, but it won't stop the notices. If you have already
>> removed the files, you need to either go to the admindb interface for
>> the mailman list and discard them or remove the
>> /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/request.pck file which will be
>> automatically recreated when necessary.
>
> Even though the above didn't work, can I do this anyway? I don't use
> that mailing list so there are no messages in it that I care about.
> Is there a way to just wipe everything manually? I guess this list is
> necessary but is there a way to wipe everything and have it rebuild
> what it needs? That should clean everything up, right?

I suggest you remove all the heldmsg-mailman-* files and also remove the
lists/mailman/request.pck file.  If you then go to the admindb interface
for the 'mailman' list, it should create a new, 'empty' request.pck.